Sunday, March 3, 2024

Documentary Outline

 The next step for my documentary is to create an outline. Creating an outline acts as a script; it plans out the content and structure of my documentary without solid dialogue. An outline is crucial for the organization and flow of a good documentary. 

When creating my outline, I used my interview questions and the outline from my previous documentary, Mic Check, as a guide. Because the interview is the main focus of my documentary, each section is based on the topics of the questions and the types of responses they would elicit from the subject. It starts with the introduction of the subject and the topic, followed by how the subject comes to terms with their identity, how their identity is viewed by family and friends, how their identity is viewed by the world, and a conclusion. While I was coming up with this outline, I realized I never created a question that would give personal insight as to what it is like and how the subject feels about their identity, so I did. I also reorganized the questions based on the responses, both to make editing easier and to make creating the outline easier. I also had to solidify the main question and thesis that was going to make up my documentary. As mentioned in previous blog posts, my documentary is about how asexuality is depicted by society so, my main question is, "What are the effects of being a part of a community that is not seen as “valid” by many?" This question could apply to the queer community as a whole as well as asexuality. By creating an outline I can ensure my documentary will be paced correctly and highlight all of the necessary subject matters. My documentary outline is linked here


The interview questions for my first documentary, Mic Check


"There’s nothing wrong with you. There’s a lot wrong with the world you live in."
- Chris Colfer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...