Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Filming Update Pt. 1

 I started filming my documentary! I’m really excited to start putting the pieces of my project together and create something meaningful. In this post, I am going to detail how my filming process went this weekend, what went well, what needs to be improved upon, and what’s next.

 I went to Tasha’s house at around twelve-fifteen to begin the interview. I knew I had to be efficient with how I used my time because they had an appointment at two that they had to leave for. Setting up took a lot longer than anticipated. I had to get the shot well-lit, set up the multiple angles, hang the pride flag on the door, and set up the microphone. This doesn't sound like a lot but framing the shot to be angled correctly proved to be challenging, particularly with the second angle because I had to place the tripod on a book on their bed. I decided to film in their bedroom next to their wall of posters because I feel it depicts the best representation of them and their personality. Filming the interview itself took five minutes, it wasn't a very long process. Tasha gave in-depth and very personal answers that highlighted the topics I wanted the documentary to portray. Next came the B-roll, I didn't have as much time as I wanted at that point but I was able to film some of the B-roll I had planned such as, them scrolling on their phone and looking at their laptop. I also took videos of family photos that hung on the wall and Tasha reading their favorite book. This was all I had time to film but they agreed to be free on another day to get everything else done.

The filming set-up

A clip of the interview I conducted with my subject, Tasha

 On Sunday, I went through all the footage and took notes as to what was good, and bad, and the B-roll that could be filmed for each question. I realized a lot of the B-roll would include them with friends so I made a plan to film some of that today after school, however, Tasha left early so I was unable to do so. They are available after school on Thursday so we are going to film then. I also have to film them looking at photos from middle school and "reminiscing" about those times as it pertain to one of the answers they gave. I am also going to use the B-Roll of the family pictures on the wall and them either on their computer or their phone, whichever one fits best. I am also going to capture them walking through the school halls either alone or reacting to the people around them. I don't want to overfill it with B-roll but I still want enough to keep it engaging. 

My interview notes

 When I film again in a couple of days, I am going to utilize my time better and try not to rush so I can get good results. I am also going to better plan and organize what exactly I am going to do and what I am going to film. Although I thought this was going to happen on Saturday, it didn't and I felt constricted and like most of the footage, aside from the interview, was unusable. This was also in part due to my delay in analyzing the interview which I also, should have done earlier. I am also going to review a recommended past project to get inspiration and guidance as to how my project should look and be coming along. 

 I am going to finish filming, hopefully by Thursday, and begin editing that same day. I want to begin editing as soon as possible so I can take as much time as I need to refine it, make it perfect, and not feel rushed. I am also going to begin research on the print component of my project which is a magazine spread, although I am not starting it until my documentary is complete. Although the schedule didn't go exactly as I planned, I am very optimistic about how the rest of the filming will go.  

"You can live in this light of the truth. It’s totally liberating. You don’t have to live a lie."

- Gilbert Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...