Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Editing Process Pt. 1

 I finally started editing my film opening! It took a while to actually start, and there were some complications, but I got through them. In this post, I am going to talk about everything that’s happened thus far with my editing process. 

My initial plan was to start editing on Saturday, but after exhaustion from being in my school’s production of Legally Blonde combined with other work I had to do, I pushed it off. On Sunday, I had family visiting from Italy for the first time so, they preoccupied me for most of the day. When they left, I overcame my tiredness and began the editing process. I intended on editing my project but, all I managed to do was import the footage from my phone to a google drive and then to my flash drive. By Sunday, I was already behind and knew I had to work hard to catch up. 

On Monday, I began to actually edit, well I tried to. I imported all of my footage from the flash drive to Adobe Premiere Pro. As I was putting the footage on the timeline, they looked really bad. The shots were too bright, the color was really off, and the frame rate while watching the playback was horrendous. I didn’t know what was wrong or how that happened. I figured it had to do with the clips, but I wasn’t entirely sure. Everything looked fine on my phone and on google drive; It was really confusing. The awful quality of the clips caused nothing to play right and it took them an extremely long time to render. These factors interfered with the editing process, and because of it, I couldn’t edit anymore on Monday. I was a little bit stressed out because I was even more behind, but I knew I had to fix it all the next day.

A screenshot of my editing timeline showing a bad-quality close-up shot of the books.

Tuesday came around and I knew, I had to spend as much time as I could editing. That’s exactly what I did. I talked to my teacher, Mrs. Stoklosa about my problem and she gave me some tips that helped. She suggested downloading the clips from google drive and putting them directly on premiere pro, downloading the clips from my iCloud and putting those directly on premiere pro, and getting rid of the flash drive I used. I tried the second technique of downloading the clips from iCloud and then putting them on premiere pro. I wasn’t sure this was going to work because when I first learned how to use premiere pro, I was told everything always had to be saved on a flash drive, otherwise the footage wouldn’t load but because of this project, I learned that wasn’t true. I was glad to see this method worked. When I saved and left the project, I came back to see all of my footage still there. All of my clips, with the exception of one, were uploaded without issue. The quality of the clips are good but there are some moments when they, for lack of a better word, glitch, and delay which make the opening appear choppy. The one clip that I had an issue with was extremely bright and zoomed in. I was able to fix it by adjusting the exposure and zooming the clip out. It looks good now but, when I thoroughly edit everything, it may become an issue. My goal when editing was to create the cuts and put all of the footage in order. I did this and it took a long time, but just as I finished it, Premiere Pro crashed and I lost some of my progress. This was really annoying but I was able to fix it quickly because not a lot was lost. Once that was fixed, I reviewed what I had, made little changes, then finished for the day.
A screenshot of my editing timeline for my film opening.

Even though there have been delays and bumps in the road, I’m finally back on track with editing. It’s going well and I’m excited to work on the project more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...