Thursday, March 16, 2023

Visual Effects

 As mentioned previously, I am going to be using visual effects in my film opening. Even though I know how to use Adobe Premiere Pro (mostly just the basics), I have never attempted to create any type of visual effect with the software. That changes now. In order to create these visual effects, I must do some research. This post is showing that research. 

Visual effects, or VFX, create magic and illusions that could not be shown in real life through editing and post-production techniques. They enhance the story by making unrealistic aspects believable. I have referred to visual effects as special effects previously but, saying that would be incorrect. Special effects have the same purpose as visual effects except they are done practically with real objects or techniques. This is not what I am using in my film's opening. Three common types of visual effect techniques include CGI, which stands for computer-generated imagery, compositing which combines visual elements from separate places to make it seem like they are in the same place, and motion capture which digitally records an actor's movements. I am going to use something similar to CGI, just not as complex. I am going to be creating a white ball of light that emerges from the book and engulfs the screen, then fades away. 

This technique may be difficult, and that's why I am going to research how to do it. I looked online and found YouTube videos that would help me get the effect I want. 

This YouTube video tells me how to do a fade-to-white transition between clips. This technique will provide a good transition between clips of Delilah getting transported into the book and her disappearing. This will also make her disappearance appear more believable, as well as, make my editing process a little easier. Based on the video, the transition is very easy to do and would be very effective. This transition is essential to my project and likely the easiest, but most effective visual effect I am using in my film's opening. 
This YouTube video details how I could do a metal shining effect on text. Although I am not using this particular effect in my project, I believe I can use this technique to create the light coming from the book. This video taught me how to add a lighting effect. With this lighting effect, I can shape it however I want. Instead of making it a line that goes from left to right on the screen, I am going to make it a circle that becomes bigger, and bigger until it engulfs the screen. It also taught me how to use keyframes which is helpful, not only for this effect, but for future projects as well. 

This YouTube video details how to create a glow effect. I will use this effect to make the book glow. This effect will enhance my film's opening by making the book appear more magical and like it's coming to life. It will add layers to the project and will make it look more appealing by enhancing the other effects in the opening. This video showed me how to create different types of glow effects as well as add different colors to the glow, which I am going to use to create the fantastical feel that fits the genre.

All of these effects are fairly simple to do, which benefits me because, as mentioned, I have never created visual effects with Premiere Pro. This is a good way for me to start off and learn to use these type of effects. I can't wait to implement these techniques into my project and make my film's opening look even better. 


Sources:

Sorkin, Aaron. “How Visual Effects Work in Film: A Guide to the 4 Types of VFX - 2023.” MasterClass, 21 June 2021, https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-visual-effects-work-in-film.

D'Anjou, Darion, and Steven Bernstein. “Special Effects (SFX) and Visual Effects (VFX) | Adobe.” , Adobe, Adobe, https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/video/discover/a-guide-to-special-effects-in-movies.html.

5 Minute Solutions. “Light Shining Animation Effect in Premiere pro 2022.” YouTube, YouTube, 29 Nov. 2021, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sVcA0A3BkI.

Adobe in a Minute. “Premiere Pro CC : How to Fade to White.” YouTube, YouTube, 22 Mar. 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc9DV-0hdsM.

Adobe in a Minute. “Easy & Quick Glow Effect in Premiere Pro.” YouTube, YouTube, 5 July 2019, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iXkAd67GUs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...