Sunday, March 19, 2023

Editing Process Pt.2

 I finally finished editing! I'm so happy to have finally finished. It took longer than I had expected and planned, but it's ok; I adapted along the way. This blog is going to detail the second half of my editing process.

Aside from blogging about the first half of my editing process on Wednesday, I researched the visual effects I wanted to include in my project. I had an idea of what I wanted to do, and I found videos that would allow me to portray my vision in my project. I talk about them more in-depth in my last post and how I planned to use them. On Thursday, I put the research I had to use. I edited the scene where Delilah is transported into the book. I started by doing the fade-to-white transition, which was the easiest effect to do. All I did was search for the effect and place it in between the clips. After that, I did the shining light coming out of the book. I followed the video's instructions, but fit it to my needs, and I didn't like the way it turned out. Ironically enough, I thought it looked too unnatural. It looked fake and tacky. I tried adjusting it with different settings to make it look better. I even tried to use the glow effect to salvage it, but even that wasn't working the way I wanted it to, so I scraped that as well. However, the YouTube video that taught me the glow effect did teach me about a gaussian blur effect, which I did apply to the transition to make it more appealing and flow better. I also added a "transportation" sound effect I found online to give a better illusion that it was actually happening. Once I had all the pieces, I just adjusted them to my liking until I felt it was complete. Once I was done with that, I wanted to add the credits. I had my font picked out, charcuterie cursive. This is the font I referenced when designing the title book's cover, so I thought it was fitting for the credits. I struggled a little bit to get the font onto Premiere Pro, however. In order to apply the font to Premiere Pro, it must be activated from Adobe Creative Cloud on the same desktop. The issue arose when my Creative Cloud application wouldn't update due to connection issues. It took a long time for it to update, and when it finally did, it became too late and I became too tired, so I just activated the font and then, went to bed. 

The font I am using for the credits in my film’s opening

The next day, Friday, came and I had to go to the beach and eat dinner with my family from out of town. That took up most of the day but I still wanted to get something done, so I did the credits. The font was downloaded onto Premiere Pro, and I typed out all the credits on the shot they corresponded to. Due to my prior use of the software, I already knew how to add text to my project so I got it done fairly quickly. Saturday, I got a lot done. I was expecting to make little changes here and there and call it a day, but upon further inspection, I realized my friend Ace was right. In my blog post where I detailed a group meeting I had with some of my peers, I mentioned that my friend Ace suggested adding some of the fictional world into the opening. It was something I heavily considered and after reviewing the opening myself, and gaining some feedback from my dad, I filmed Delilah being in the fictional world. I went to a beautiful park with a forest that was about fifteen minutes from my house with a tripod and a ring light. I scouted a few places and did many takes at several locations in the forest, but the second to last location was my favorite, so that was the one I used. My dad came with me and helped me film as well as act as a stand-in for me to frame my shots correctly and let me know where to stand. Once I got what I wanted, I came home and began editing right away. I knew that Delilah needed to be teleported to where she was transported, so I did some research on visual effects that could create that and I found a great YouTube video that detailed everything. It gave me all the information I needed as well as a particle burst file that elevated the effect even more. Because of that video, that effect is one of the parts of the project I am most proud of and I feel like that has really shown my growth with editing projects on Premiere Pro. Once that effect was done, I reviewed the project, made some small edits and cuts, got some feedback from my parents, and I was finished!

The video detailing the teleportation effect

My full and complete editing timeline

I'm setting up a shot in the park I filmed the end of my film's opening at

I am so proud and happy with how this film opening turned out. I learned so much about using Premiere Pro and about filming as well. It was a long process that definitely tested my patience at times, but it was all worth it for the end result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...