Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Let's Look Back, Shall We

As we approach the end of this journey, I want to look back at my creation process and think about where I am now. I've known what I wanted to create since I heard about the project. As a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, I wanted to create something that made me and the members of my community feel seen in an authentic way. I also wanted to highlight underrepresented groups, especially those in the LGBTQIA+ community, like asexuality to bring more awareness to them. This is exactly what I did and I'm so proud of myself for that.

On the production side of things, I think I did everything pretty efficiently. I did thorough research on my topic and watched documentaries such as, Paris Is Burning and Transhood, to get a good idea as to how to approach my topic. I also planned efficiently to get everything done on time. With some changes along the way, I managed to hit that goal as well. On the filming side of things, it got a bit trickier. I filmed the main interview with no problem. I had appropriate questions, filmed in a timely manner, and got great responses. The problem occurred when it came to the B-Roll. Because I was so limited, with what I could do, it was hard for me to find things to film, even when listening to Tasha's responses. I ended up getting a lot of footage of them talking with their friends but the first time I got footage, it was practically unusable because the lighting was so bad. The interview also ended up being too short so I set up another day of filming more interviews with other friends of Tasha's and going to the park to get B-roll footage and this was immensely successful and vital to my project. Editing was also a bit of a struggle. I got a grove quickly but kept running into technical problems with my clips and software which took up a lot of my editing time. Once it was resolved (after a lot of troubleshooting), I finished my project efficiently. The constructive feedback from my peers was the most crucial part of my project. Without it, my project wouldn't have been as perfect as it is. Their feedback was very helpful in my final project.

The other components, the social media page, and the magazine, came together well but weren't without its few hiccups. The main issue for both was my lack of timing. For my social media page, although I created a posting schedule, it was very hard for me to stick to it and that caused me to be very behind. I wasn't posting as regularly as I should've been and fell behind on posts. This has caused me to catch up at the end, which I have done but has caused more stress. I also should've written the story for the print component sooner. This is because I didn't anticipate formatting to take as long as it did. I had to restart the formatting several times before getting it right, which was frustrating and would've been easier to navigate if I had given myself more time. 

Overall, even with all the bumps in the road, I am very happy with what I have created. I am very excited to share it and I can't wait for everyone to see it!


"I live proudly in a body of my own design. I defend my right to be complex."

—Leslie Feinberg, Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue, 1998


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...