Sunday, April 7, 2024

I Completed the Print Component!

As you can probably tell from the title, I finished my magazine article! I am so excited I am one step closer to releasing my portfolio project into the world for people to see! Creating this magazine article proved to be a bit more difficult than anticipated, and not in the way I expected, let me explain.

In a previous blog post titled, "Starting the Print Component" (linked here), I started talking about ideas for the magazine article and the different templates from Canva I was going to use. This was me just planning but it was time to get started. My first step after planning was to write the story. This part came together quicker than I expected once I knew what I was going to write about. I decided to change the subject of the article. It was going to be topic-based but I decided to make it more director-focused. I did this because I felt it made the article feel more personal and gave more of an emotional insight as to the purpose and theme of the piece. I began planning the structure and the questions and I finished writing in no time! 

My planning notes

Once I was done writing, I let my dad proofread it for errors and redundancies and he gave me a lot of good notes. After we reviewed the notes together, I read through it one final time and decided it was done. Now came the formatting. This is the unexpectedly difficult part. Because I had written the story in a different document, it was hard to place the paragraphs properly into the templates, especially with the small font they provided. I chose one new template, made the font a bit larger so it was easier to read, and added the frames for the photos. After a lot of rearranging, I finally got it to look right. After that, I added the proper photos and added the small details such as the page number and making sure all of the text was left-aligned. Once those details were finished, the entire spread was done!


My dad’s notes

I really enjoyed writing and sharing my personal feelings on my documentary. I feel it makes the piece feel really personal and highlights how hard I worked and what this project really meant to me. The final product will be revealed in just a few days so keep your eyes peeled!


“Race, gender, religion, sexuality, we are all people and that’s it. We’re all people. We’re all equal.”

― Connor Franta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...