Monday, February 6, 2023

Music Marketing Post #2

 In my last blog post, I mentioned that my group and I were working on a music marketing project, in which we had to create a marketing campaign for a new band that we had created as well as, a music video for their first song. This post is an overview of how that project went.

For our campaign, we received the indie/alternative genre. I was pleased with this because it is one of my favorite genres to listen to and I was excited to learn more about it. We conducted research to learn about the genre and how we could implement other artists' practices to benefit ours. We got inspiration from groups like The Strokes and Arctic Monkeys and artists like Steve Lacy and Owen Pallet. From our research, we concluded that social media was going to be an excellent resource for us to use. These artists used social media as a form of both audience interaction and marketing, and we figured it would be smart to do the same thing. In our research, we also learned that the target audience for the genre is teens and young adults. Because of this, we knew to use social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, and YouTube. Using these platforms for different functions, like using Twitter for updates about music, and using Tik Tok for promotional uses and dances will create more audience engagement and prevent repetition. The artists also had websites and merchandise. Being that we are a small band, we thought it would be beneficial that instead of having a website, we'd have a linktree, in which all of our platforms could be in one place and it would be easier for our audience to navigate. The merchandise would only be a few items such as a shirt, sticker, and keychain but they would help promote our group and gain a larger audience. The research benefitted us and gave us an idea of how to proceed with the rest of the project.

Before we conducted the research, we decided we were going to do 'The Man' by The Killers (linked here!) for our music video. We all really liked the vibe of the song and had little ideas here and there for what to do but it wasn't until Ace had the idea to create a band based on the idea of the seven deadly sins that we knew exactly what we were doing. We called our band the Seven Sevens and based our song and the album that was to come, on the sin pride. Pride is being vain and narcissistic and we thought spinning the idea of an uplifting song to one about being proud and conceited would be fun. I created the logo for the band that would be an integral part of the band's image while everyone concentrated on what to do for the music video and creating the storyboard.

Once we had the plans for the music video done, it was time to create it. We decided to do a mostly promotional video with a little bit of storytelling, on the idea of Ace's character being conceited and almost like the greek figure Narcissus, who falls in love with himself. We all went to Ace's house after school where we filmed the parts of the video that showed Ace's character promoting pride. We filmed the first shot of the music video which is Ale and I running down the street, trying to get away from Ace using Luisa's car. Luisa drove slowly, while Ace filmed and Ale and I ran like our lives depended on it. We also filmed shots like Ace kissing the polaroid of himself and the phone call with himself on that day too. The next day, we filmed at a park at sunset to shoot the promotional aspect of the video where the band is playing behind the lead singer. We filmed just the band playing once, and then we filmed the band playing with the singer second. We also got a lot of videos of the band members lip-synching, dancing, and posing which, as well as being used for the video, were used as promotional footage for the social media accounts. 

After the video was shot, it was time to edit it. We agreed Luisa was the best person to do it, considering she had the most experience and had a good vision for the video. While she edited, the rest of us worked on the campaign presentation. I focused mostly on the social media aspects of the PowerPoint, creating the social media accounts and posting content to them. I also created the merchandise and figured out what venues would suit the band when they go on a small tour to promote their music. Ace worked on putting the research into the PowerPoint, while Ale worked on the campaign, distribution, and marketing of the music video. 

We then finally had to present everything. We weren't able to rehearse prior due to time constraints, which made me nervous but we discussed what each person was going to present and what they were going to say before we presented. This made me feel a bit better but I was still very nervous about presenting. While presenting, I definitely tripped over a few words due to nerves but otherwise, I thought we did really well. We all presented what was necessary, and said exactly what we needed to, to emphasize our points. Luckily, there weren't any technical difficulties and everyone spoke clearly and concisely. We knew our information well. Overall, the presentation went well and was much better than I expected.

I loved working on this project. It was stressful at times but was very fun. Filming the music video was some of the most fun I've had working on a project in a long time. Not only was it fun, but working on the project has taught me some things. It taught me that communication is key and to not get so nervous over the little things. I believe our project went so well because we communicated with each other, pretty much the entire time. We didn't heavily rely on someone too much or too little, we did everything equally and we worked together. We all agreed with what we were doing which in turn, made for a better project. I was really nervous to present the project. I knew exactly what I was going to say but just the general anxiety of presenting to a class got to me however, our presentation was still great. We all did well and I was nervous for nothing. The project will help me develop my Cambridge portfolio by allowing me to do better research and manage my time wisely. Because this project forced us to do background research on the genre and music, I felt very comfortable about the topic and knew what to do. Doing research for my Cambridge portfolio will allow me to feel the same way. When we started the project, we were moving a bit slowly and by the end, we had to do a lot in a short amount of time. For my Cambridge portfolio, I know I need to organize my time better so I'm not doing a lot quicker and I'm working constantly. 


Our band's logo


A promotional image of the band



Examples of the band's social media

An example of a piece of the band's merchandise





No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...