Sunday, March 24, 2024

Listening to Music

 As I am editing, I feel like something is missing throughout the documentary and that's music. Music adds depth and tone to media and I feel it will do the same to my piece. While I don't plan on utilizing it throughout the entire excerpt, I want to include it in some (especially pivotal or serious) moments in the documentary. This blog post will highlight my process for choosing the song I use in my production.

All of the music choices are copyright-free and in the public domain. Although using a popular song, especially one by a queer musician would be cool, I don't have enough time to await a response from them so I am going to use what I have at my disposal. 

I started searching online, and the first place I checked was the same website where I found my track from my portfolio project last year, pixabay. Pixabay has a lot of great royalty-free, mostly instrumental, pieces to choose from. After searching for a bit, I found "Inspiring Cinematic Background Music For Videos" by Lesfm. Although it is generic, it is what I'm looking for. It's neutral yet uplifting and sets a good tone for my piece. As I said, I am likely not using it throughout my entire piece, just snippets and the song shows a good balance of highs and lows that could elevate my piece. It is linked here or here

I also found a song called "Calm Documentary" by LexIn_Music" on the same website. This song also has a neutral tone but is more positive than most others I've listened to in the category. Like the other song I mentioned, it also has a good range of ups and downs to showcase the full emotions of the interview. It does have a different feel and vibe compared to the other song, which I'm not sure would be incorporated well, but I'll just have to test it to find out! I like this song and am curious to see how well it would accompany my piece. It is linked here or here

Finding music for my documentary proved to be difficult as it was hard to find songs that I felt captured the mood and feeling of my piece. The music was either too sad or too happy with very little in between, except for the two songs linked here. Although I prefer the first song, I will test them both in my documentary and see which one works best. I am excited to see how music will elevate my documentary further. 


"I think being gay is a blessing, and it's something I am thankful for every single day."

- Anderson Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...