Monday, March 6, 2023

My Filming Process!

 I finished filming my opening! It didn’t necessarily go as planned but I’m still on schedule which is good. In this blog, I’m going to talk about everything that happened. 

I finished painting my prop on Friday (the last blog post talked about that process) and I was ready to begin filming on Saturday. I got up, albeit later than I should’ve (this was ultimately my downfall), ate breakfast, and started getting ready. I put on my costume and did my makeup but the set wasn’t done yet. I had a poster printed at CVS and while I was getting ready, my dad went to pick it up. When he got it, the formatting was off and it was too small. He came home to show me a size that would work, then went back to CVS and got the poster fixed. I still needed to create the set and it was 5:00pm. This was problematic because I needed light to be shining outside the window. I realized I couldn’t film that day anymore. I panicked a little bit but came up with a new plan of attack. I was going to calm down, eat dinner, then spend the night creating the set. That’s exactly what I did. I look at the design I made for reference and then, designed the set. I took the sheets and pillows from my bed and put them on the set’s bed. I took my stuffed animals and put them on the bed as well. I then took my record player from my room and put it on the table. I grabbed pretty much every single book from my bookshelf and put it on the dresser. I also took figurines that I had in my room and put them next to the books. Then, I took some of my records and put them in the drawer of the dresser with the record player. I put the poster I ordered from CVS up and thought I was done but, I looked at the other wall and thought it looked bare, so I found some photos of my family and friends and extra posters I didn’t use in my room, and put them up. It was finally done! It took much longer than I anticipated so, I’m glad I took the time to do it and not rush. Some of the things like the pictures and the figurines weren’t in the original design but I felt they added more to the set and showed more of Delilah’s character. 

A time-lapse of me creating the set.

After Saturday didn’t go to plan, I knew I had to film everything on Sunday to stay on schedule. I got up earlier (I learned my lesson), ate breakfast, put on my costume, and did my makeup. Makeup took a lot longer than I wanted it to because it wasn’t turning out the way I wanted it to, but after a few tries, I was happy with the result. I also added a few more details to the set such as the fluffy white rug that was originally in my design and a fake plant next to the record player. I grabbed a tripod and my ring light and began filming. It was a long process, making sure I got all my shots right and I made a few mistakes but, I made sure I fixed them and I hope they don’t become noticeable when I’m editing. My parents helped me a lot. My mom was a stand-in for me to set up my shots because we are about the same height and her and my dad helped me hold the ring light and film. I really couldn't have done this without them. I left the set up, just in case I need to refilm anything or something ends up looking off. 

I’m so glad I finished filming! I’m going to do some research on editing techniques and special effects, then start editing. The project is really coming together and I'm really happy with how it's all turning out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...