Friday, February 16, 2024

My Project!

As mentioned in the last post, I was leaning towards the idea to do a documentary about being young and queer in America. I decided this is what I’m going to do! I want to highlight queer voices in a positive and uplifting manner and I feel this is the most genuine way to do so. 

The concept for the documentary is that every episode will highlight a teenager ranging from thirteen to nineteen that identifies as queer and falls under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella. My documentary will talk about the young queer experience and the different aspects that come with it that many people in the community share. The first episode would talk about finding yourself and being comfortable with your identity, and the second would talking about the different ways people express themselves through their identity. The third episode would talk about how transgender people battle gender dysphoria, and the fourth would talk about how queer people overcome bigotry, hatred, and homophobia. The fifth episode would talk about finding a shared community and support through the LGBTQIA+ community and the sixth and final episode would highlight queer joy and embracing your true identity. My documentary excerpt would be from the fourth episode and highlight how asexuality is not seen as a "valid identity" and is not seen as a real identity by some people in society. I chose this topic because asexuality is not known to many people and is not talked about enough. I want to use my platform to educate and inform more people about queer topics they may not know much about. 

Before I chose this documentary and episode concept, I had another idea in mind. I was still going to highlight young, queer voices but each episode was going to highlight a specific letter in the LGBTQIA+ acronym and a person that follows under each category would be highlighted in the episode and talk about their experience. Although I liked this concept, it didn't allow me to portray my desired topic fully and left me wanting to showcase more. I also think that the idea I'm going to put into production does a better job of fully and genuinely talking about everything that comes with being young and queer, both the good and the bad in a genuine and less stereotypical way than other media pieces of the same topic. 


My portfolio planning sheet depicting the different ideas for my documentary. 


My next blog post will show my schedule, the way I break down my project process week by week, and how I will get my project done in a timely and efficient manner. I also wanted to add something new to my blog this year. Because my project is all about elevating queer voices, I want to add an inspirational quote from a queer person, whether they are a celebrity or an activist, to the end of all my blogs. The first quote I chose, I feel highlights the full purpose and intention of my project. It is very powerful and impactful. 


"All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential." 

- Harvey Milk 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...