Thursday, March 21, 2024

Filming Update Pt.3

 Remember when I said that I was mostly done filming...that was an unintentional lie. In my previous post, I mentioned that I started editing and realized the main interview was only three minutes and forty seconds, which is too short for the documentary excerpt. Because of this, I needed to add and create more aspects of my documentary in a short amount of time. This blog post talks about my process of doing that. 

Because the interview was shorter than expected, I obviously needed to make it longer so I asked Mrs. Stoklosa, our advisor, for advice. She said that I needed another interview so I decided to ask some of Tasha's friends their perspective of Tasha's identity. I created a separate set of interview questions, which proved to be harder than expected, but came up with three that highlighted the topic and the subject in a positive light. I also created a list with B-Roll but that also proved difficult because it depended on what they each said in the interview. However, I created a basis and went with it. I then began to contact some mutual friends of ours if they were able to be in the piece. I asked our good friend Natalia, who has been mentioned in my blog before and has helped me out on several projects including my last documentary Mic Check. She said she was able to do it which was exciting. I then asked our other friend Sunnie, but he said he was busy and couldn't. This was stressful as I had to figure all of this out in less than twenty-four hours because I had planned to film the next day. I quickly asked some other friends of Tasha's, Key and Cece if they were available and they were! This quickly solved my issue and I now had three interviewers instead of two which will give the piece more depth and insight while keeping it engaging. All there was left to do was film.


My new B-Roll and Interview Questions

Everyone met at my house to film at around one pm on Thursday (today). I did the interviews, starting with Natalia, then Key, and finally Cece. This went well, albeit with a few interruptions but nothing major, everyone just having fun. Once those were over, I filmed all of the B-roll at a local park. Everyone with Tasha, having fun and goofing around. Because the interviews mostly focused on supporting each other and spending time together, I thought this was the best idea. I also got shots of Tasha with their friends individually so that I could focus on their separate relationships in the documentary. We finished filming in about two and a half hours and everything went really well! We got everything done efficiently and managed to have a lot of fun in the process.

A clip of B-roll of everyone playing around and having fun

A photo of B-Roll of Tasha and Natalia

While figuring this plan out was very stressful, I'm glad it all went well. Now I can really focus on editing and putting together the entire project. 

"Gender and sexuality are so fluid. It's OK to change your mind a million times and figure out what works for you. It's OK to take your time."

- Amandla Stenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...