Thursday, March 28, 2024

Social Media Update

 While I have been filming, editing, and planning, I have also been adding to the Instagram page I created to promote my documentary. In this blog post, I am going to explain what I have posted and what I plan to post in the future. 

Like I detailed in my previous post about by Instagram account, I have been creating activism posts about raising awareness for LGBTQIA+ issues. I did a post about the “Don’t Say Gay” bill that was passed into law in Florida as well as resources for people to educate themselves on LGBTQIA+ topics or for LGBTQIA+ youth to have help or reach out for guidance. Since then, I have posted a quote by Marsha P. Johnson saying “No pride for some of us without liberation for all of us!” This is an iconic quote by a trailblazer in the LGBTQIA+ movement and I used it to explain a little bit about her and who she is. The following posts have all been about the documentary. I posted the logo and explained what my documentary series is all about: the topics it would cover, its length, and its purpose. I also posted some of the filming process. I posted the set up of my interview with Tasha as well as B-roll of Tasha and their friends playing at the park, highlighting the fun they are having being themselves with their friends. My most recent post showed my editing process and that production for the piece is underway. This post will get people excited that the final product is coming soon and that they will finally be able to watch it.

One of the Instagram posts I’ve made

My upcoming posts will be the other five subjects of my documentary. I plan to do a personalized post for each person who would be considered a subject for the documentary. I have been asking some of my friends in the LGBTQIA+ community and I have enough people who are willing and available to be apart of it. I will take pictures of them for the Instagram when school starts again next week. This is so I can ensure everyone will be here and available. For these posts, I plan for them to have a white background, a picture of the subject, their name, the title of the episode, and their pride flag on the side of the photo. This would make the topic of the episode clear and highlight the subject’s identity. I also plan to post these as an Instagram highlight so they are front and center on the page. 

An example of the subject posts

After I post this, I plan to follow my social media schedule and create a poster for the project to post on the platform. I also plan to create a space for queer youth to share quotes and stories of their experience to uplift their voices and give them a platform to share and speak their minds. Incorporating interactive aspects on the platform like that, as well as pride flag phone lock screens and stickers can increase activity on my page and further promote my documentary. 

I’m excited to continue work on my social media page and spread the word of my project to wider audiences!


“The reason the rainbow flag endures is because people own it. It means something to them.” 

- Gilbert Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I am proud to present...We Are Young: Here & Queer! Documentary https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACENz9NJervsk3gmpDG1xvXmSTqgNTwl/view?...